Saugus Police Department

Saugus Police Arrest Man for Breaking and Entering, Assault with a Dangerous Weapon

Saugus Police Department
Chief Domenic J. DiMella
27 Hamilton Street
Saugus, MA 01906

For Immediate Release

Wednesday, Jan. 6, 2016

Contact: John Guilfoil
Phone: 781-666-2012

Saugus Police Arrest Man for Breaking and Entering, Assault with a Dangerous Weapon

SAUGUS — Police Chief Domenic DiMella reports that the Saugus Police Department arrested a man for allegedly breaking and entering into an automotive shop late Tuesday night and assaulting the store manager.

JOSEPH F. LANZILLI III, AGE 36, OF SAUGUS, is charged with:

On Jan. 5, at approximately 10:40 p.m., police responded to Final Finish Collision Center, 24 Bennett Highway, on a report of an armed robbery in progress.

Upon police’s arrival, they found the store manager, who was injured from an altercation with the suspect. He told police that earlier that morning, around 1:45 a.m., the shop had been broken into by a man seen on video surveillance.

Later that evening, around 10:30 p.m., a store employee noticed the suspect had returned to the shop and the employee informed the store manager.

When the manager arrived, he noticed a man standing near a vehicle that had been moved to the other side of a secured gate. The store manager reported the man had a knife in his hand and began approaching him.

The man, later identified as LANZILLI, then allegedly assaulted the manager. A 911 call was made, and LANZILLI fled the scene, heading toward a wooded area by Revere.

Saugus and Revere police established a perimeter and the Massachusetts State Police K-9 unit arrived to help locate LANZILLI.

At the same time, police began reviewing the store’s surveillance, which depicted LANZILLI inside vehicles in the secured area of the shop.

Around midnight, police located LANZILLI in the area of Mount Vernon and Laurel streets. He was placed under arrest and then taken to North Shore Medical Center’s Union Hospital in Lynn for medical evaluation. The store manager declined transportation to an area hospital but sought medical attention on his own following the incident.

“This suspect acted maliciously and without care or caution for the safety of others at the business,” Chief DiMella said. “I commend the work of Saugus officers and want to thank the Revere and State Police for their assistance during the incident.”

Following LANZILLI’S release from the hospital, he was held at the Saugus Police Department pending his arraignment at Lynn District Court Wednesday morning.

These are allegations. All suspects are considered innocent until proven guilty.